Friday 4 November 2011

Little Girl Trying To Play Mature in the film Na Jaane Kabse

Amrita Prakash has worked as a leading lady in the film Na Jaane Kabse.She is still the little girl trying to play mature and worldly wise in an adult world. “The beauty of youth is that it refuses to sit in one corner for too long and that it is not afraid of taking on stances. I can be innocent, coy and yet sensuous if required”, confesses Amrita who has earlier worked as Choti - Amrita Rao’s little sister in Rajshri Films Vivaah. inmovieznews reportor spokes to her:


“Post Vivaah, I indulged in the luxury of choice There was a constant up-gradation of my acting and dancing skills. I eventually chose Na Jaane Kabse primarily for the numerous dimensions and layers the role offered me. Yes, I can be a true Drama Queen in real life too”, she said.


You have travelled a long journey in glamour world. So how do you feel as your first film in lead role is releasing?


I started acting when I was 4years old. And from then to now the journey has been enriching. There have been no complaints since I have enjoyed it all along. But since the age of 4 I have been working towards a single goal- or as I call it- a single dream. And today having completed my first film as the lead actor I feel I have come a long way. It's one step closer towards realising my dream. This is a huge milestone for me. And it's what makes the over a decade long journey worth it.


How did you get NA JAANE KAB SE?


I got a call from Ms. Pammi Somal's office one day asking me to come down to her office regarding a film project. When I met her I was under the assumption that like all 'first meetings' this one too would involve a 15 minute general discussion that leaves you very uncertain. But when I got there she took a good look at me, asked me to sit down and gave me an entire narration of the film. Something which rarely happens. So I just thought there thinking- how is she telling me the whole story? Does this mean I'm in?


As she tells me now- she had seen me in Tum Bin when I was a kid, and decided then that she wanted me to work with her someday. And on seeing me that day almost 8years later- she knew I was her "Anjali".


Why did you accept the film? What was the thing that made you to accept the film?


One thing made me accept the film- Ms. Pammi Somal.
She was extremely passionate and confident about her product. She spoke of it like a mother speaking about her child- nurturing and protective. She had written the film herself, so she knew the heart and soul of it. Her vision was clear right from the beginning. And there was a non-filmy honesty about her that really appealed to me. She seemed to be making the film not because it was a business venture for her, but because she believed in the story. And that's the kind of work and the kind of people that I want to be associated with. When something comes from the heart, I think the possibilities are endless.


Tell us about your character in the film.


My character name in the film is "Anjali" who is also called "Drama Queen". Which I believe says a lot about her. She is a very real character. That's what I love most about her. She's the kind of girl that not only I, but every girl would individually be able to relate to. She is extremely talkative, full of life, with a live-for-the-moment attitude, a little naughty- a little innocent, and a crazy little thing bursting with energy. She's the kind who'd do anything in the name of fun. She's waiting to break free- and discover the adventures that life has to offer. It’s a dream role any newcomer would aspire to get as a launch pad.


How was your experience working with journalist turned director Pammi Somal?


She's an ace of all trades. I have nick named her "SuperWoman" and I tell her all the time that she hides her red cape from the world. Because it is impossible for one person to so effectively handle so many things at a time.


You have also worked in a Malayalam film. What difference you feel working in Hindi films and southern films?


I have worked in the Malayalam industry down south with a veteran director Mr. Kamal. And the reason I picked Malayalam cinema over any other was because Mall-films are purely story focused. It's not about the commercial aspects, or the glamour or the flamboyance- the films revolve around a severely strong and bound script. And that for me is like the Bible! That's the kind of work I most enjoy doing- something with challenges that require strong deliverance. Also, the technicians down South are very competent. It's no wonder we are constantly "importing" so many technicians into Bollywood from the South Indian industries.


TUM BIN to NA JAANE KAB SE…What change you feel in yourself as an actress?


It’s funny that you ask me this- because just last night I happened to chance upon Tum Bin playing on TV and I sat and watched the entire film from 12am to 3am after years!! And I was bursting with nostalgia and was in awe of the film. I only now at this age understand fully what a masterpiece it was.


As far as my performance goes- my first shock was when I saw my first shot on screen last night. I couldn't believe how tiny I was! But yes, there has been a very natural growth in terms of both personality and performance. Change is the way of life and I am glad to see a certain maturity that I believe has come about in my acting. I really think one learns with every single take and every single shot. Acting is a developing and progressive craft. You can't stop learning and there is no 'end'. There's only variation and modulation. Today I see myself trying something different with every take in a single scene. It's my exercise. And I hope to forever keep learning.


What is your dream role?


I'll quote an extract from a poem I once wrote-


"I want to learn, I want to explore...
I want to achieve, I want to soar.
I want it now, I want it all.
Every little glory, every little fall"
My dream role would be outgrowing the role of Chotti in Vivaah and graduating that role as a takeover to a lead role with Rajshri Films. Sooraj-ji is a Maverick. He has always been someone I have looked up to especially ever since I worked with him. He is so humble, patient and yet a perfectionist. I am sure I will be working with them as a lead heroine in the near future..


You could call me ambitious. Or greedy. But the bottom line is I am here to challenge myself and open new avenues. I want to be a part of something that pushes my boundaries and helps me convert my weak points into my strong ones.


What next?


Next..... Is a very interesting thriller that I'm working on. I'm extremely excited about it because there's a huge risk element involved. For one the thriller genre isn't known to do phenomenally well in India. And secondly because this film is very experimental in its nature- both content wise as well as the treatment! It’s not tried and tested. And it's not seen before! And I can't wait for it to hit the screens. This one is meant to shock! Plus- it's something I haven't done before!

No comments:

Post a Comment